Pua's for Chrismas!





I decided to go totally hand-made this year with my presents. What better gift than a handmade pua! Even though not everyone will wear one in their hair, you can use it as some sort of accessory. My motto for my designs is that I will not make something that I will not wear or like as a gift myself. They are all designed in my own signature style. Most pua's that are sold at Hawaiian events are made from aloha print material and modeled after the plumeria flower. They are nice,... but very hard to pull off with your outfit! They always end up clashing somehow. So, I've always wanted to do either solid or nuetral colors that would match easily with various outfits and styles of hair. I picked up some neutral colors from Joanne's fabrics and also used some leftover dyed pieces from halau lole (costumes) that we had worn in the past. I tried several styles of flowers, but ended up really liking the tiare style. The tiare flower is native to Tahiti and is white with 7 petals. The pedals are a bit squared at the ends and quite long. So I used many different colors in this same style.

Comments

Popular Posts