Makana for the Pacific Voyagers


My kumu hula, Kawika Alfiche was involved in coordinating the welcoming ceremony for the 6 canoes that sailed from the Polynesian islands. The Hawaiian community in the Bay area joined together and presented the voyagers with Hawaiian traditional chants and dances as they landed on Treasure Island. We wanted to give each canoe a keepsake to take with them on their journey back home, and fill it with memories of their trip. I designed a unique cover for 6 different binders, and they were filled with photos, artwork, poems, chants and well wishes from all the halau and community members that were involved in the ceremony. I could not physically be a part of the ceremony, but I am thankful that I got to contribute in some way to this historic event.
This is one sample of the cover I did; all of them sailed under the Golden Gate Bride and I wanted to capture that special moment for each of them with this picture.
For more information on these voyagers and their journey, please check out their website:

Comments

Popular Posts